Tuesday 2 October 2012

Thank heavens for handwork

I recently found myself unexpectedly in hospital and having emergency surgery, after 30 years of nursing it was quite strange being the patient. My saving grace was a recently cut out small applique which was virtually completed during my hospital stay and recovery. It was amazing how many conversations were had over this little piece. Nurses, doctors, patients and visitors who came over to see what I was doing knew someone or had a relation who quilted or sewed, it was comforting to know that I was a little part of something big. It was truly the most wonderful distraction in a time of need.


1 comment:

  1. Hope you are feeling better. Your little applique is so sweet...it is wonderful to have a little hand work to take and do to keep busy. Its amazing the number of people that will stop and speak to you will sewing.
    Hugs Tanya

    ReplyDelete